UNM Department of Philosophy
- The University of New Mexico Department of Philosophy is a community of faculty and students actively engaged in a wide range of philosophical projects.
- Our department combines research strengths in both Western and Asian philosophy and offers extraordinary resources for students wishing to specialize in Continental and/or South Asian traditions, and in comparative approaches to philosophy more broadly.
- Our department is small and close-knit and has an excellent student-to-professor ratio that provides students at every level of study the opportunity to receive close attention from individual faculty members.
- Our faculty members are highly regarded experts in their fields, and they continue to pursue original, cutting-edge research that earns international renown.
- Our faculty members are also highly regarded teachers - they have 10 teaching awards between them - and they share a steadfast commitment to providing our students a world-class education.
- We offer a Ph.D. program, a terminal M.A. program, three undergraduate major programs, an undergraduate minor, and a Shared-Credit Undergraduate/Graduate Degree Program that allows students to complete both the B.A. and M.A. in Philosophy in five years of study.
- We offer competitive funding packages to our Ph.D. students, and our incoming M.A. students have in-state tuition rates available to them from day one.
- The successful placement of our M.A. and Ph.D. students continues to be a hallmark of our graduate programs.
- We are located in Albuquerque, the largest city in a state known for its breath-taking natural beauty.
- New Mexico's unique multi-lingual and multi-cultural diversity is reflected throughout UNM. So too is New Mexico’s history.
UNM Land Acknowledgement Statement
Founded in 1889, the University of New Mexico sits on the traditional homelands of the Pueblo of Sandia. The original peoples of New Mexico – Pueblo, Navajo, and Apache – since time immemorial, have deep connections to the land and have made significant contributions to the broader community statewide.
We honor the land itself and those who remain stewards of this land throughout the generations and also acknowledge our committed relationship to Indigenous peoples.
We gratefully recognize our history.